Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sometimes I Talk Too Much?

Today I contemplated, as I do often, the act of having a conversation. I did that because, as I do often, I have conversations with people. Sometimes I feel bad about these conversations because those people don't respond in kind, meaning that they don't respond to what I'm saying, or give me a completely disinterested response, or don't get it and don't want to get it.

All of my conversations with people today were disappointing (and these were just the primary ones):

Conversation with Person #1: Total Disconnect. One-Word Responses. Not Even Trying to Listen or Comprehend or Participate.
Conversation with Person #2: Pretending to Listen, But Not Listening. Forgot Everything I Said Within Moments of Me Speaking It.
Conversation with Person #3: One-Way Talker. I tried to intervene with my own comments, experiences, and suggestions, but she interrupted all of it.
Conversation with Myself: I have a headache.

I did have a nice conversation on the phone with someone today. She's always nice, compassionate and considerate, and she listens. And I listened too. I didn't think of it until much later, after my headache started wear off.

No comments: