Monday, August 25, 2008

Office Polls and Nerdy Glasses

Today I polled my co-workers. No one else received the rude awakening Sunday morning at 5:26 a.m. that I received about 9-1-1 being out of service, but one co-worker concurred with my feeling about the level of urgency one might anticipate upon hearing the phone ring at that hour: Someone I love probably died. Or something is really, really wrong.
Today I picked up my new glasses, exciting for me to be back to my nerdy roots. I lost my glasses in December, so I've had to contend a little bit every day since then with an old pair that's too weak for my eyes.
I wondered to myself why I wear contact lenses. I guess there are lots of reasons, including being able to wear sunglasses, having greater freedom of movement, and not getting raindrops or fog on my glasses, but the original reason, dating back to the eighth grade, was so I didn't look like such a nerd. Today if I look like a nerd, no one will notice and no one will care. Come to think of it, in the eighth grade or anytime thereafter, the same was probably true.

2 comments:

The Film Geek said...

I really enjoyed the thoughts on the glasses. Recently my perfect vision became something less than that, and I had to shop for reading glasses. I'm sure I'm a month or two from prescription glasses. But I felt very vulnerable and very insecure trying them on.

Read Me said...

Yeah ... in the third grade, during the vision screening, the school nurse yelled at me because I couldn't read the letters to her, and then a kind, spectacle-wearing classmate gave me instant comfort, telling me it was going to be OK, that it is not that bad, and the bonus is that now you will be able to see.