Thursday, August 7, 2008

Adventures in Sandwich Land

Again I awoke to the harsh chirping of the parakeets. I decided to face them, to stare them down and try to figure out why one or both of them was in distress. Once I walked in, they both stood still and went quiet. After a few minutes of our stand-off, the nice boy bird chirped gently and quietly in a little song, while the vicious girl bird continued her high-pitched berating. I gave her some more food and she seemed satisfied for the moment.
Yesterday I found out that the Subway I complained of recently has been robbed by two of its employees. As if I weren't already afraid to go back. Now I really am afraid to go back, except that I'm wondering whether the sandwich guy who gave me trouble last week is still employed. Last week, I wrote about my misadventure in trying to get my roast beef sandwich on whole wheat. I made him mad at me for several reasons, even though I had the very best of intentions. This week, I learn of the robbery.
Today I went to the old standard Subway I usually patronize, where there are outdoor tables and a nice view of the river and the trail. The same familiar guys were there. They're always kind, quick, and make good sandwiches. The sandwich guy said to me, "Oh, I haven't seen you in awhile. Where've you been? Good to have you back!" Not really.
My friend The Film Geek had a funny post today about giving up his car. I listened to the whole five-minute long performance of Neil Young's "Long May You Run" he had posted there with it. It was funny at first, and then as I got halfway through the song, it brought back memories from 1993, having absolutely nothing to do with a car. I had memories of the record player at my house, the reckless abandon of youth, and thinking that the sun rose and set in the eyes of that guy I just met.

4 comments:

The Film Geek said...

I'm curious: Why did you ever leave the first Subway, the one with the nice employees?

Thanks for the mention, and for reading my car post. I'm glad it brought a personal memory for you. And I hope sometime you will write about that memory.

The car post was about much of those same things you mention: I miss the youth I had with the car, and I recall fondly the early years I had it, when I had less responsibility. So many times I got in that car and drove to Taco Bell at 2 am just because I could. :)

Read Me said...

Why I left the first Subway ... hmmm .... good question ... I like variety, I guess; and I've been working through lunch a lot these past few months ... plus it just got expensive, but that was before you could share a $5 foot-long with a coworker. By the way, you only save nine cents if you get the veggie foot-long.
As for me writing about memories that Neil Young brings back ... I guess there's more to the story, but I probably already hit the highlights in my quick summary. I'm not sure the rest is all that interesting. With some time, though, I'm sure I could develop some compelling material.

SleekPelt said...

I'm really enjoying your blog, read me. I've read a bunch of your back posts in the past couple of days. I like the way you stop posts on a dime. Thanks for participating in Friday Music this week.

Read Me said...

Thanks for reading! I love your Friday Music!