Sunday, August 3, 2008

More Batman

I spent a few hours watching Batman Begins at home today. I already had one nap, but I went to sleep during the slow part anyway. After the movie ended, I went back and watched the part I missed and then it made a lot more sense. I didn't catch the part about Ra'l Salz ... Whatever dying and then being replaced by the goatee guy at all. I read about it afterward when I tried to figure out who Liam Neeson played in the movie. That scarecrow villain guy was way cool. The actor was delightfully psychotic and the scarecrow mask was workably scary. The actor reminded me of a young Rob Lowe. I wish I would have seen Batman Begins before I saw the Dark Knight. It's not that I missed anything in the storyline by not seeing it first; well, perhaps I did, I just didn't know it. I would have already understood who Commissioner Gordon was, and a bit more about the feeling of the movie.

2 comments:

The Film Geek said...

One can never have enough Batman!

For comic book geeks like me, it is important to understand the origin of the character. But mostly, one needs to know only this: the real personality is Batman, and the Bruce Wayne persona is the mask. He's conflicted, obsessed and dark. And that's on a good day. :)

Read Me said...

I was introduced to Batman via The Justice League, the simplistic cartoon of superheroes that was on every day after school when I was eight, nine, and ten, I think. Superheroes in The Justice League cartoon were superheroes in their most basic, virtually mindless form; so I had no idea the comic books, the true origin of the characters, were so complex. Batman, in his most simplistic form, on the Justice League, was my least favorite because he had no real super powers. He just had a tool belt with handy gadgets and a sycophantic sidekick. But now I like him a little bit more after watching the Dark Knight movies. Bizarro, the villain, was my very favorite. He was funny, dark, and twisted, and I felt a little bit sorry for him.