Monday, August 4, 2008

My Brush With Science Fiction

Today I worked like a machine cranking out matchbox cars or microwave ovens. My productive day had me feeling somewhat good about my work, which is a rarity.
Many days I go completely without phone calls (personal calls, that is), and today I received a handful of calls from people calling to talk just to me, and not having to do with work. I wondered, is this "Remember Your Isolated Friend You Hardly Ever Talk to Day"?
I had the funniest dream of all time this morning about my friend, who I have previously referred to as Yousiphanes (long for "you"). In my dream, I traveled back in time to a party that was going on 20 years ago in my town at an unknown person's house. I saw Yousiphanes standing on a porch, talking to some other people, but, because in real life I've only known him for a year and a half, he didn't know me 20 years ago. I walked up to him and introduced myself. I said, "You don't know me, but you invented a time machine to send me back in time to tell you that you'd meet me in the future. You wanted me to tell you that you helped invent a time machine. You also wish you could have met me 20 years ago." Yousiphanes looked at me quizzically and with natural skepticism, as if he wondered if I was all right, or if I was just trying to be flirtatious in a pathetic way. "I assure you, it's true. Let me show you my time machine. You'll love it."
I know, my brain stole this dream's storyline from a recent Lost episode, when Desmond visits Daniel when he's a professor studying psychology and time travel (it's unclear whether the time travel is in Desmond's own consciousness or not). I woke up laughing.
I don't know, maybe it's just one of those dream things that seemed really cool for a few hours or a day, until it wore off, and then the next day it sounds totally idiotic.

No comments: