Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Wall Came Down

Sleeping from Sunday to Monday I was tired. I woke up sometime after 4 a.m. and felt wide awake, which is extremely rare for me. I sleep lightly, but well. I believe I was dreaming about being inside my old elementary school and being evacuated because the ceiling was falling in. I could hear it. When I woke up, I could hear the wind. I read my book for about an hour and then fell back asleep at 5:30 a.m. Later, at around 8:30 a.m., I went to the back porch to bring some chairs inside the house because I thought it looked like rain would be coming. I was focusing on the chairs. The youngest member of the household was with me, and she noticed that something was different in our yard and the neighbors' adjoining yard. Half of a retaining wall had collapsed into it. Our half was in tact, but the other half seemed to be the victim of a late-night landslide and was now a huge pile of rubble. I wondered if the sound of it falling was the product of my elementary-school-ceiling dream. People are fixing the wall right now, stacking the giant cement blocks in my yard as they figure out what to do.

No comments:

Blog Archive