Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Smallest Coincidence Is More Interesting Than No Coincidence At All

I saw the greatest two things yesterday. First, on my walk, some green buds awakening from the brown, dry branches. Green Life! It has returned at last! I took a picture of it I was so excited (I have to get inspiration for excitement from somewhere). Later, I saw the same kind of plant in front of my house showing its greenness to me as well.
Today I had lunch at a crowded meeting, and sat at a small table for two. As I was getting ready to sit down, alone, someone I didn't know asked if he could sit at the table. The stranger who joined me turned out to be someone I'd talked to on the phone a few times about six months ago. Then, in the evening, he reappeared by picking up his daughter at the same place I go to every night to pick up mine. I wonder what else I'm missing by not being more observant. In the smallest of towns, and the biggest of cities, there are coincidences all around.
After lunch I had an unusually long conversation with someone about Mascarpone cheese. He had never heard of it, and had also never heard of tiramisu.

1 comment:

cat said...

What? Never heard of tiramisu? I wish I'd never heard of it cuz I love it but Oprah and Phil (my two gallstones) don't like it at all. Most importantly, however, I hope you helped this person to properly pronounce "mascarpone." And maybe he can tell everyone on Top Chef there is no "r" in the first syllable, for shit's sake. Just sound it out, like your kindergarten teacher told ya! I know, people with lives don't get peeved over the occasional misplaced "r."

Blog Archive