Monday, April 21, 2008

Fare for Fortification

This past weekend I learned about carrot puppies. I had a grilled carrot puppy sandwich. The carrot puppy sandwich had grilled carrots, coleslaw, lettuce and tomato. Who would just know that? Have I climbed a notch on the sophistication scale now that I do?
This afternoon I took a few minutes to read the introduction to the Strunk & White book. William Strunk was E.B. White's professor in 1919. Strunk's publishing company contacted Mr. White after Strunk's death and asked him to update the book. Mr. White spends most of the introduction bringing life to his memory of Professor Strunk. The memory that I carry away from the introduction is Professor Strunk's assertion that you should be bold about something you're not sure about. If you don't know how to pronounce something, don't be indecisive and timid about saying it. Say it loud and say it wrong, he said. It is better to be confident about your choices, right or wrong, than to be indecisive and inaudible. Your indecision and timidity will cause you to languish indefinitely.
I received a card from my aunt today. Today, more than ever before, she lets me know so warmly that my west coast family members who live a thousand miles away care about me and my life. Thank you.
I have seen her seven or eight times, not counting photographs, but I am family and she cares. Whether I have ever been loving, inconsiderate, altruistic or selfish is irrelevant. I have been none of those things to her, as I live a thousand miles away, but it doesn't matter. Family people love you unconditionally.

No comments: