Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dialogue About a Play

Yousiphanes: What'd you do today?
Meecutio (clutching phone in ear): Started the day out with a crushing headache.
Yousiphanes: (laughing) The result of acute consumption the night before ... ?
Meecutio: Only if you count a slushie overloaded with sugar that I drank from the Dairy Q last night.
Yousiphanes: Sugar probably wouldn't be enough to cause a crushing headache. (Tone becomes serious and sincere.) Sorry to hear about that. Did you manage to do anything?
Meecutio: Once I had a healthy dose of caffeine, I swept the kitchen and then got down on my knees and scrubbed the floor the old-fashioned way.
Yousiphanes: Did you get outside?
Meecutio: Yeah, I got outside. The longest time I spent outside was when the balmy, sunshiny day transformed into a sudden, violent downpour.
Yousiphanes: I'm stuck at work, doing menial things that some people might think are fun.
Meecutio: Wanna go to the play tonight?
Yousiphanes: Nah, I saw it last night.
Meecutio: All right, then, have a productive and interesting Saturday at work.
Yousiphanes: Enjoy the play.
(Both hang up.)
Meecutio (dialing, talking into the telephone receiver): Hey, Djeneba, it's Meecutio. I was just calling to see if you wanted to go to a play with me tonight.
Djeneba: Nah, I'm having a rough time today. The bees in our beehive all died, and my husband broke his leg. I couldn't possibly come. Have a good time.
Meecutio: Sorry to hear about it. Things will get better.
Djeneba: When it rains, it pours.
Meecutio: It's actually raining right now. But the sun is going to come out and it looks like a rainbow might be possible.
Djeneba: Enjoy the play.
(Both hang up.)
Meecutio dials again.
Meecutio: (leaving a message) Hey, everybody. Just calling to say hello and see how things are going. You can call me back if you want.
Meecutio hangs up.
Meecutio dials again.
Andrusko: H...ll...o.
Meecutio: Hi, is this Andrusko?
Andrusko: Y--e--s! Is-- this--- Mee---cutio?
Meecutio: You sound like you're in a helicopter!
Andrusko: S-o do-- you! (sounds garbled) -- I'll---ca--ll-- y--ou ba--ck i-n a f--ew- min--utes.
Great--to--hee--ar your--voice.
Meecutio: Thanks. Same to you.
(Both hang up. Phone rings two hours later.)
Andrusko: This is Andrusko. When I told you I'd call you back, I didn't realize I didn't have your number.
Meecutio: I tried to call you back. I left a message.
Andrusko: Well, sorry. I went into town. Did you have a question?
Meecutio: I called to tell you and everyone that the play Katarina has been wanting to see is showing tonight.
Andrusko: What's it called?
Meecutio: Caucasian Chalk Circle.
Andrusko: Cock ... what?
Meecutio: Caucasian Chalk Circle.
Andrusko: Caucasian Crop Circle?
Meecutio: Chalk circle.
Andrusko: Oh, crop circle.
Meecutio: No, chalk, like, "chalkboard."
Andrusko: Oh, chalk circle.
Meecutio: Yeah, Caucasian Chalk Circle.
Andrusko: Oh, never heard of it. Michaeldiegolo's in town. He and Katarina are at a festival and there's a concert tonight. I'll tell her you called.
Meecutio: It looks like rain, though. It just rained here, really hard, but then the sun came right back out.
Andrusko: I think the festival will be over before the rain comes to this area.
Meecutio: All right, well, tell Katarina and Michaeldiegolo I said, "hi," and thanks for calling back.
Andrusko: Will do. Talk to you later.
Meecutio: Bye.
(Both hang up.)
Meecutio walks into bookstore.
Meecutio, seeing friend: Hey, Sestana.
Sestana: Hey, Meecutio.
Meecutio: Wanna go see Caucasian Chalk Circle tonight?
Sestana: That sounds great! You and I like the same things. We live parallel lives. I'll have to check with the rest of the family, though.
Meecutio: It's got puppets, music, good costumes and a good story about how to solve disputes.
Random person standing by (interjecting): It's a really great play. I'm a little biased, though ... I'm in the play.
Meecutio: Which part do you play?
Random person: Well, we all play numerous parts throughout the play. There are puppets, songs, and awesome costumes.
Meecutio: So I hear. Is there really a naked puppet?
Random person: Yes, there is a naked puppet.
Meecutio: Well, thanks for the information. We'll see you there.
Sestana (turning back to Meecutio): All right, I'll call you if I'm going to come. Sorry I haven't talked to you in awhile. I'll let you know about the book club.
Meecutio and Meecutio-rita arrive at the theatre soon after, 30 minutes before the play is scheduled to begin.
Meecutio-rita: I wish I could invite a friend.
Meecutio: Inviting friends takes much advance planning. People find it hard to spontaneously jump into events a half hour before they start. You need to ask people a couple of days ahead of time so that they can set aside that period of time in advance.
Meecutio-rita: Oh. That sucks.
Meecutio: Yeah, I find myself making that mistake over and over again.
Meecutio and Meecutio-rita find seats in the theatre. Mecutio-rita finds her friend there. Meecutio works on puzzle, alone, until play begins.
Curtain.

1 comment:

BongoBear!! said...

LOL. I know who I am in this play. So funny mum. I laughed and Meecutio-rita #2 asked what was going on. haha.