Sunday, September 28, 2008

Retail Halloween

Shop, shopping, shopped. I've done more shopping for myself this weekend than I think I ever have, in all history. Now I have new shoes, new jackets, new shirts, and a new skirt. Six items. It feels excessive, as I usually only get one or two things at a time, about once every eight months or so. For some reason I'm wearing one size down. All I did was lose four measly pounds. Could I be any more self-involved?
I did make a few obligatory stops for the youngins to three Halloween costume stores, and despite my reluctance, trying on the 1950s and 1960s glasses was fun. I'm already tired of Halloween and I've got one month to go. I realize that a lot of women and female adolescents like to wear costumes that show off their assets in ways they usually can't get away with, but none of the costumes out there are creative. Most of them you can't even tell what they're supposed to be, with labels like "evening fire" or "moon woman" or "goddess of the night." I was trying to figure out if the people who owned the stores purchased only sexist costumes, or whether that was all that there was to order. The only costumes I've ever seen that I liked were worn by creative people who made their costumes, like Giant Styrofoam Eyeball Guy, or Giant Bottle of Ketchup, appearing with his friend, Giant Container of French Fries.

No comments: