Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Fashion Update

I never much liked those quilted handbags that started to become popular about 10 years ago. It's odd to me that the trend didn't quickly fade away. Instead, the company that created them flourished and many knock-offs were made. I never expected to have my own, but received one as a Christmas present from my sister. It's actually pretty nice looking, I think. It has indiscriminate pockets all over the place, inside and out. It doesn't even look like a quilt. You can't see the giveaway criss-cross sewing lines in it. She also gave me a matching wallet thing that can be carried on the wrist. You can put your cell phone in there and it has a clear window for the driver's license. I feel kind of guilty about getting it because I know it cost so much -- and so much more than I spent on her gifts. I don't understand why those quilted handbags cost so much. I don't understand why handbags and pocketbooks and purses in general cost so much, unless they are made of leather or something durable. I don't like carrying them around and I don't really like the way most of them look. Usually, the straps are made so that they don't stay up on your shoulder. Sometimes they don't close all the way, so if they get knocked over stuff falls out and you might lose your glasses like I did last year. I don't like spending time on finding purses I like, and, when I do find some, they might cost $60 or $80 or $120 or $245 and I can't get any of those. I did buy one for $23 that was marked down from $60. Going by its original price, it cost more than any one I had ever had. It wore out in less than a year. Before my sister gave me the gift, I had resolved to go back to my carefree days of never carrying a purse with me. I've always liked pockets. I kept everything I needed in my pockets. It's not that women really have anything more to carry than men do, it's just that we can get away with it because it's generally more socially acceptable for us females. At least around here.

No comments: