Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Many Words

Last night I finished the book Marley & Me. I saw the movie twice, not because I particularly wanted to, but because some friends of mine really wanted to see that one, and it was the only one they hadn't seen that was playing, that they wanted to see. The first time I saw the movie I got a little sad when Marley died. I may have gotten a tear in my eye. Someone told me the book was much sadder and that the death of Marley was much more drawn out and sentimental, and made you really appreciate the dog even more than the movie did. I've always been much more emotionally affected by the books I read (Bambi's mom dying in the original "Bambi" book, and Charlie reverting back to his limited understanding in "Flowers for Algernon," for example), but I really wasn't any more than mildly sad when I read about Marley's gradual deterioration and eventual death in the book. However, John Grogan is a very good writer. He knows how to explain situations and feelings and scenes in writing. A person just can't say that about all writers. He knows how to tell a story and get it across in a way that everyone can relate to and appreciate. When I finish a book, I want to be glad I read it. Even though I'd seen the movie twice, and knew what to expect, I was glad I read it when I finished it.
I will be starting "Dead Until Dark," a vampire love story, today. This will be book #3 of 2009. At this rate, I could read 26 books this year. How can people do 100? How can they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first heard about the "100 books in a year" goal, I was skeptical. But in the past three weeks, I've finished four books and I think it's doable if (and that's a big if) someone has the time and selects books that do not require you to consult a dictionary every chapter.

I had set a goal of 24 books for '09 (2 a month) and I think I'll make it. I'm going to read more fiction this year, which should help because the non-fiction books I usually read are giant tomes that take a couple weeks or more for me to finish.

Read Me said...

I don't even know if I did that much reading in law school.