Monday, January 19, 2009

The Discomfort That Comes When Not Knowing Whether Reality is a Lie

I just watched a few clips of Chelsea Handler in her various capacities as comedian on TV. She's kind of obnoxious and mean, and maybe a little bit funny. It makes me like her book better than I like her acting. The mean part comes out especially in two clips, one when she takes pre-teens on a blind date, and one when she interviews senior citizens about various photographs of famous people she holds up to them. In the blind-date bit, she talks to the two children like they're not children, cursing at them and talking about how she's slept with a lot of men. In the senior citizen clip, she seems to try to exploit the naivete of some of the seniors who aren't in touch with the current state of the world, or at least aware of current celebrities, anymore.
Some things aren't funny, that are meant to be funny on TV and in the movies, like watching people get hurt, and making fun of people who don't understand they're being made fun of, for things that they can't help, and being mean to other people. There is a blurring between what is reality TV and what is just acting, which is the case with the two clips I watched, and there is an uncomfortable feeling that comes with that. If it is real and not scripted, I feel sorry for the people she's trying to exploit for comedic gain. If it's all scripted, and everyone is acting and has a part in the script (hopefully they're getting paid to look like clueless victims), but viewers aren't supposed to know it's scripted, then that makes me uncomfortable because they don't know whether they, the viewers, are being fooled by that (lied to) as a viewer. I guess that's one reason I can't stand to watch reality TV for more than about 30 seconds. It makes me uncomfortable and disgusts me at the same time. I guess that uncomfortable feeling is what the producers are after, but I don't like it. I'd rather be helped to laugh at things that writers worked on a little bit more.

No comments: