Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 28

I remembered the other line, in addition to the "you fight like a young man," comment I wrote about a few days ago, from the new Indiana Jones movie, that I liked. Indiana Jones's colleague said, in relation to both of them not having their jobs anymore, "We've reached the age when life has stopped giving us things and has started to take them away," referring, I suppose, to people who reach their 50s. I saw my life flash before my eyes, and thought about all the things life had "given" me up to this point. I thought about what the future holds for me, and what life might be taking away. Youth, for one, obviously. And all the things that seem to slip away with it. It's an interesting and sad comment, but I would disagree in a way because life does tend to keep giving you things, all the way up until it gives you death. The things life does give you at that point may start to turn negative, but what about retirement, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and the opportunity for exciting hobbies like card games, gardening, shuffleboard, painting, and woodworking? Mr. Jones's colleague was just depressed. But it did make me think. Of course, I forgot for four days what I thought was so interesting, but it came back to me. Sometimes life takes things from you and then gives them back. Like memories.

No comments: