Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Brandishment

This morning started off the usual way, with me trying to calculate time and rush to fit everything in to those regimented time slots that occupy my schedule and my mind. I don't think regimented can be used as an adjective, since I don't see it in the dictionary and I often wonder about such things, but I do use it as one anyway. I think you should be able to turn anything into an adjective if you want to.
Yesterday someone used the word "brandishing" in a sentence, as in "brandishing a sword." I considered correcting him, since I knew the person he talked about did not actually brandish a sword; rather, the sword was strapped to his back. My hesitation in correcting him stemmed from the fact that I doubted the accuracy of my definition of the word as I imagined it to be, and I wasn't sure if he was using "brandishing" with "carrying in a holster" synonymously. Did he actually mean the guy was brandishing the sword(?), or did he mean that he just had the sword on his body(?), or did he misunderstand the meaning of the word(?), I silently pondered at the time. This morning I took a second that I didn't have to look it up, as it was, well, not so much weighing on my mind, but resting lightly on my mind. So, I confirmed to myself that, yes, brandishing means, in the context of having a weapon, "menacingly waving about," and, looking back, I was glad that I had not been so sure of myself that I corrected him in the moment. It wouldn't have been worth it. Plus, the story sounds so much better with the sword being waved around rather than tucked away on his person.
Do people carry swords nowadays, with the possible intention of brandishing them? Is a sword more than just a collectible? Apparently, they do, and yes.
I also learned "brava" is a word and can be used "interjectionally," as the dictionary puts it, to congratulate a female instead of "bravo," as one would for a male. I also did not know that "interjectionally" was a word.

No comments: