Friday, August 21, 2009

We Are Marshall

I'm one of those people who despises football. I don't mind going to a game and seeing and feeling the energy of the crowd, getting fresh air, and watching the spectators. OK, maybe I even enjoy seeing the marching band because it reminds me of old times. That will keep me occupied for the full two to three hours of my time there. But football itself? Please, ask me to do just about anything else other than watch sports. I didn't expect to really like "We Are Marshall" for that reason, but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless. My eyes glazed over and my eyelids got a little heavy during the game scenes, but I held it together and stayed awake the whole time. I wondered if anyone else with no ties to West Virginia, or to the people who were involved in the making of the film, would watch or appreciate this movie. But then again, a lot of people all over the world have ties to West Virginia, somehow. There's a very long, but very beautiful commercial enticing people to visit West Virginia. The length of the commercial made it seem so desperate. Please, come to West Virginia. Please see the rivers the mountains the bridges the glass ... wait, is that all we have? They really didn't need to show the same scenic vistas over and over and over again. I don't mean to be critical. What would have been more interesting to me, and just as good a commercial as any, is listening to Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox and some of the other actors talk about what they did and what they saw while they were here.

2 comments:

The Film Geek said...

I've met at least ten people who, after seeing this movie, traveled to Huntington to visit the campus. Not one of them had ties to the campus, the school or the team. They were just moved by the story. Odd, huh?

Read Me said...

I'm glad to have been wrong ...