Sunday, August 30, 2009

Saturday

This was a necessarily quiet but sad weekend. Nothing bad happened, except that I was trying to get over a cold (flu?) before it hit me hard. The best part about that is that I think I won and the sickness lost. I had lots of zinc, Tension Tamer tea, Echinacea Cold Season tea (both Celestial Seasons, I suppose I must add), soup, and tomato, basil and spicy mustard sandwiches.
Saturday night I debated between watching The Pursuit of Happyness and the XMen movie, The Last Stand. I watched about 10 percent of the X-men movie and 90 percent of The Pursuit of Happyness. One crucial fault of the XMen movie is how most of society sees the mutants as people who are sick and must be cured. It's just too much of an inconsistency with how I think it would be in reality, if the mutants' powers existed, and too contradictory to really accept as a legitimate part of the story. If I could imagine the world rejecting the idea of people having superpowers, like the ability to make cars float or read peoples' thoughts, then I could accept the rest of the movie. Any amount of fantasy superpowers would be acceptable, but if you're going to combine it with human behavior that doesn't make any sense, then I have a hard time with it.
I knew The Pursuit of Happyness was supposed to be sad, but it was sad in a way I didn't expect. The main character made a few mistakes I think I would not have made. He took too many risks. He told his son's mother that she couldn't take care of her son, so she couldn't take her with him, and then he ended up not being able to provide a home for his son so that they had to sleep at homeless shelters for awhile. Then, in the end, of course, it was all "rags to riches" and I ended up wondering why I can't seem to move forward.
I was supposed to have been meeting my good friend Djeneba at a nearby resort where she works. We both had in mind dinner and a movie to celebrate her birthday. I was going to see the whitewater rafting action where she works and see what her job was like. I told her I was coming down with a cold and we both thought it was best that I didn't come.
Even though I had plans it didn't help with the feeling, the omnipotent feeling, that my world is so small. I guess a better way to put it would be that I want it to be bigger. I keep trying to tell myself that it doesn't matter. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

No comments: