Sunday, May 31, 2009

Men in Maine

Since I've been thinking this past week about coincidences, my mind is working harder to notice them. Today I encountered another coincidence. I just started a book in the early-morning hours of the day (circa 1 a.m.) and then watched a movie about 11 hours later, and both concerned the prospect of a man returning home to Maine to take over the family business. Both men would be leaving their lives as writers, leaving behind their efforts to make their ways in the world by making use of their creative talents. In the book, "Empire Falls," the guy does go back to Maine. In his case, the family business concerns textiles. He thinks that it will be hard to put aside his true passions and suck it up, but finds out it's not that hard. The other guy, played by Ron Livingston in the movie "Two Ninas," really doesn't want to go back and doesn't go back. The movie never reveals what type of business he'd be entering into with his family in Maine. He continues to try to make a living in New York City as a writer, trying to find a publisher for the novel he's written. I tried to like the movie, but it had no substance. I tried to like Ron Livingston's character, which is usually extremely easy for me, but I found this character annoying, trite and pathetic. Sorry, Mr. Livingston. I'm still waiting for the Fox series Standoff that he starred in to come out on DVD, since I didn't get to see any of the episodes in its short life on TV. I don't think it's going to happen.

No comments: