Sunday, November 9, 2008

Saturday

Yesterday I was a homebody, watched two movies -- Baby Mama and Derailed -- and worked for about three hours in a closet. I finally came out of the closet for the last time yesterday when I had hung the door on its track. It took a long time to take stacks and stacks of kid stuff out of the closet just so I could re-hang the door. I think that anyone who has kids would know exactly what I mean when I say kid stuff: I mean old papers, socks, clothes, shoes, books, magazines, random game pieces, scratched CDs, empty movie cases, stuffed animals, Christmas tree ornaments, hangers, electronics, instructions for something that got lost or forgotten about a long time ago, kid camping stuff, poles, partial pieces from a fast food kids' meal toy, public service fair giveaways like unsharpened pencils, keychains and rulers ... the only thing I didn't find, that I'm glad I didn't find, was food. Working away, certain things kept popping into my head, thoughts that I wish I could push away. Not bad thoughts, just new thoughts that my brain was trying to figure out what to do with. When a new thought doesn't have a place yet ... manual labor has a way of forcing the mind to frame thoughts.
I watched Baby Mama in the morning and Derailed at night. I had low expectations for both movies, and I ended up liking both of them. Baby Mama was actually funny -- and I wasn't expecting to see Greg Kinnear, and he played a very likeable character; and, then, in Derailed -- there's just something about Clive Owen that keeps me interested -- as Jennifer Aniston put it, "he's tall, dark and handsome, and you just want to see what he's doing ..." or something like that.

No comments: