Sunday, November 2, 2008

Night and Day

This has been a confusing and frustrating few days. Amidst the clutter of my life, there are always constant and numerous demands, every day, all the time, just as every other parent who works has: working a stressful, demanding full-time job; transporting children to and from, and then to and from, every day; pulling the food together from the store and the kitchen to feed the hungry; straightening up at home so that we don't trip over the clothes, books, school papers, pens, mail, shoes, and backpacks at home; and trying to meet the emotional needs of the frustrated household members around me, some of which appear to have none, and some of which appear to have very many; and, while I know I'm not describing anything new or unusual, my point is this: when a break from all this appears to be possible, I look forward to it.

4 comments:

The Film Geek said...

I understand.

I've had similar moments where I looked forward to the respite that comes with quiet, being alone and not living someone else's schedule.

I've realized that I have to create that time for me, rather than wait for it to be offered by someone else.

Read Me said...

You're right! I'm starting to understand that I really need to take advantage of all that unused annual leave time that I keep losing.

The Film Geek said...

Exactly! There is nothing wrong with using a day or two of annual leave to stretch out a weekend once in a while. Just to sleep in, or take a nap in the afternoon. Let me know how that works out!

Read Me said...

It's so easy to forget that I am the master of my own destiny.