Monday, July 7, 2008

Wanted, Kinky Boots, and Strike!

This weekend I watched Wanted, even though I almost always steer away from action movies, which have never really interested me. I find that they almost always lack substance and instead draw upon car chases and mindless violence, and if it was truly playing into the formula, nudity and sex; but I thought Wanted would have something more. It didn't.

Some other movies I watched this weekend that looked better and had more substance included Kinky Boots and Strike! I fell asleep watching one of them and woke up watching the other. Kinky Boots had far more potential and a positive comment from a credible friend about it being one of her favorite movies. It is about a man who reluctantly takes over his father's shoe factory after his father dies. The man has just enjoyed his freedom and moving into his first apartment with his girlfriend when he found out he was being compelled to return. A feisty transvestite enters the picture, and I am supposing that the transvestite's big, red, high-heeled boots inspired him to transform the shoe factory into something a little more exciting. I don't know though; that's where I thought the movie was heading when I fell asleep. When I woke up, Strike! was on and it caught my attention so much that I was suddenly wide awake at 1 a.m. Kirsten Dunst and Gaby Hoffman played girls who attended a private school and were trying to stop the board of directors from caving into pressure from the neighboring boys school to go co-ed. I woke to a line from the headmistress of the school, saying that the influence of the men would be subtle and insidious, as always, and that their influence would slowly reduce the women's and female students' roles at the school into insignificance. That's the kind of movie I like. Something that makes me think.

No comments:

Blog Archive