Thursday, February 5, 2009

Drama

I wonder if I have what it takes to have a histrionic personality. Usually I'm fairly objective, but sometimes I like to give my stories some color.

Me, usually: I fell on my knee in the kitchen on a tiny piece of glass. It kind of hurt.

Histrionic version: I was giving the cat a bunch of food because she was starving, driving me insane with her haunting looks at me and her constant meowing. I knelt down on the kitchen floor to fill up her little empty kitty food bowl, and when my knee hit the floor I felt this stabbing pain in my knee. I got goosebumps all over, wondering if this was going to be the end. Then blood started gushing out of my cut and I tried to look for the piece of glass. The more I looked for the glass, the more there was blood everywhere. I couldn't get up off the floor. It took me about 15 minutes to find the piece of glass and when I finally found it, it was kind of small but jagged all over, like a small rock. I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I thought about putting a tourniquet on my knee but I couldn't find anything to tie around my leg. I looked around to make sure the doors were locked so vampires couldn't get in. I wondered if I might become anemic, because I couldn't stop shaking and thought I lost too much blood.

Conclusion: It takes a lot of work and practice and forethought to have a dramatic personality. How do people do it? I'm exhausted. By the way, I didn't cut my knee or feed the cat or do any of the above. But I watched it happen with someone else in the house. Her reaction was more like my objective version. I'm glad I don't live with a lot of self-created drama.

No comments: