Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday

Non-stop action today, almost as bad as yesterday. The chaotic day was interrupted by a nice peaceful walk along the river again. The windy fall weather strangely reminded me of my poem happiness that I posted last week. There is something surreal about the swirling leaves, combined with the starkly bright, sunny fall weather, and a person you know suddenly entering the picture. It's especially surreal if you talk yourself into believing so. A poetic mind is also essential. Minds are funny like that. A gloomy sky would probably have changed the whole experience.
Later on in the day, I went to a playground, where I was asked to fix the six swings that someone or some evil creatures had wound around the top of the bar. I had a feeling it would end in frustration, but I gave it a try anyway. Once I started, I didn't want to stop until all the swings were down. I tried swinging them really hard, and that did not work. I tried throwing the rubber, wobbly seats of the swings over the top of the bar, as one hurls a spear or a football, which eventually worked for three of the swings that were stuck. We found a long, tall stick, which helped a little when the swing and chains got caught at the top. My back already hurt when I started, and now it hurts worse as a result of my determination to not give up on the task I undertook. I wanted to defeat the evildoing of the people who decided to sabotage the plans of the innocent children who look forward to swinging there. I was only partially successful. Part of my stick got stuck in the chain where I couldn't reach. My fingers were numb from the cold. I almost got to the point where I sort of had to catch my breath. I really, really tried. Before that, I went to Kroger. Every time, as with this time, I inevitably run into someone I know. It doesn't happen to me in other grocery stores.

No comments: