Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Can I Escape Evil and Still Find a Place in this World?

Recently I've been wondering about a personality trait. I will call it "exploitation." There's a very good reason this word exists. It exists because some people possess this trait, in which they naturally, possibly unthinkingly, operate by targeting a perceived weakness in another person, and figuring out how that perceived weakness can be used against that person for personal gain. What I've been wondering about is how people get that way. I think it must have to start with a judgmental attitude. An eager-to-judge and quick-to-judge attitude. Did exploitative and judgmental parents raise them to have exploitative and judgmental attitudes? I think people who do try to habitually exploit others' perceived weaknesses may have the mistaken belief that everyone operates this way, and that justifies their entrenched habits of manipulating the facts to make the other person look bad. When I find it happening, I have a brief mental image of me living in a cave as a hermit (my back is hunched over, I'm wearing layers of brown, torn cloaks, and I'm dragging a cane for a stick) -- the thought briefly crosses my mind that it might be best to live a secluded lifestyle, away from the painful social pitfalls of backstabbing, being judgmental, and hurting other people for personal gain. But I like and need people in my life. I like people especially when they are nice and not mean. It's often easy to tell, but sometimes it can be more insidious. And I don't want to be judgmental, so I try not to place labels on people, and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is some decency inside them, despite what I may perceive. They may hide their evil plan to exploit the person, carefully plotting to gather information while they appear nice and accommodating on the surface. It's the typical plot for a soap-opera story. It's pretty pathetic, but it works. People watch that stuff. People get fooled by that stuff. It happens all the time. It happens in the movies. It happens on TV. It happens in school. It happens at work. It happens in POLITICS! It happens in court. That's why we have that word. It serves a useful purpose. It acknowledges that it is a part of life. I wonder if it easily translates to other languages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a place. A valuable place. There is not much you can do about the people you describe. Ignore, perhaps? But you can be happy with the one or two people that you already have or will find who will be kind and not hurtful. One or two close friends --all you really need. And your children, of course. Best to you.

Read Me said...

Thanks. Good advice that needs to be repeated from time to time.