Saturday, March 29, 2008

Used Furniture

Today we decided to look for vintage/antique/old stuff and, possibly, a sewing machine. We re-visited the What Not Shop (not hyphenated). Previously we purchased such What-Nots as silverware ($1 for a handful of silverware, including some silver spoons and tiny fondue forks); a bright red, metal step-stool, which we use as a computer station ($30); a vanity with round mirror ($75); and a wooden chair ($25) that I re-covered. Today we found an old sewing machine for $15 that comes complete with a cabinet in which the sewing machine folds. None of us knows how to use, thread or run the sewing machine, but I hope we can find someone to come over and show us. The sewing machine I got from my grandmother caught on fire when someone showed us how to use it about four years ago, and now I can't remember where all the threads go. Internet directions have proved to be unfruitful so far. If the sewing machine fails, we have a passable TV table with an upside-down surprise inside that just might have the capacity to make us curtains or pillows someday.

Yesterday, on our way back from Columbus, we circled the block in Zanesville twice when we thought we saw an antique store that was open. By the time we circled around the block and parked, the store was just closing. It was one of those businesses with multiple dealers. The antique shop next door was also closing, but she let us in and we all found some useful and interesting stuff: a dark-purple oval tablecloth that looks like a reversible jacquard blanket; elbow-length gloves; and teacups with saucers.

2 comments:

d said...

My wife can operate a sewing machine. I cannot because I do not possess the manual dexterity ot make my fingers do such things. She can also make it catch on fire. This I too can do.

Read Me said...

What are the chances I could get her to make a housecall?