Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lucky

Yesterday, I took a walk through the neighborhood, my usual route up and down some steep hills. Toward the end I walked past two women, who had just pulled up into a driveway right next to the road. One of them walked close to me to retrieve the mail from her mailbox. She yelled to woman #2 and said: "When we first moved here I had to get Lucky." Woman #2 said, "What?" Woman #1 said, "When we first moved here, I got Lucky." And Woman #2 said, "WHAT?" As I walked on past, I heard, "When we first moved here, I got Lucky in the car. He was so small back then." Not knowing how the rest of the story went, because I had walked out of hearing range, I smiled the rest of the way back home about the "Who's-on-first" beginning of her story. I repeated the overheard conversation to my friend when I got home, but she didn't laugh.

No comments: