Sunday, June 7, 2009

Up

Despite the brilliant sunny weather, I watched a matinee of Up in 3-D. I fell asleep for about 10 or 15 minutes during a pivotal part in the movie. You'd think a person wouldn't get bored at a 3-D movie. The study of the old man's life was pretty sentimental and introspective, and seems to have been based on the real Carl Frederickson, according to the credits at the end of the movie. To watch highlights of a couple's life, from childhood to death (or near death), as in Love in the Time of Cholera (not the movie), makes life seem pretty short and puts a person squarely in the shoes of a person who has lived so much life that all that's left are the memories in his mind. It always makes me want to do something more than I'm doing at the moment. And it makes me re-examine some of the choices I've already made that have put me in the spot I'm in now.
I'm not sure whether seeing the part of the movie I missed would have made me like it any better than I did, but it was a decent movie. Watching it in 3-D didn't add much to the movie, and the tinted glasses made everything darker than it would have been otherwise. I would have rather seen it brighter, and maybe I wish I hadn't been as sleepy. Twenty-six dollars later, I'm wondering what's so great about going to the movies.

No comments: